Everyone has those nights where you crave a hearty pub feed for dinner, and when that time comes this homemade chicken parmigiana will definitely become your new go-to. Requiring just a handful of cheap and easy ingredients, you don’t have to break the budget or go out of your way to whip this one up. And after 30 minutes of prep, this mouthwatering dish will not only satisfy hunger cravings but also impress anyone who takes a bite.
Serve it up on its own, or with a garden salad or chips.
- 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 6 (700g) chicken breast schnitzels (uncrumbed), halved crossways
- 1 medium brown onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 340g jar fire-roasted capsicum strips, drained
- 230g tub diced antipasto chargrilled eggplant, drained
- 1 1/2 cups tomato pasta sauce
- 1/3 cup Fountain Spicy Red sauce
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, torn
- 100g mozzarella cheese block (500g), thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- Basil leaves, to serve
- Preheat oven to 220C/200C fan-forced. Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook chicken in 2 batches for 2 to 3 minutes on each side, or until browned and cooked through. Transfer to a plate.
- Heat the remaining oil in a pan. Add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes or until the onion has softened. Add capsicum and eggplant. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add pasta sauce and Spicy Red sauce. Bring to the boil. Stir in the basil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place half the chicken in a 10-cup-capacity ovenproof dish. Pour over half the sauce mixture. Top with remaining chicken and sauce mixture. Top with cheese. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until golden. Serve topped with basil.