These chicken skewers are absolutely perfect if you have a special event or a barbecue coming up as you can prepare them in advance but still quickly cook them on the day. And with just a few easy ingredients, they definitely won’t break the budget either!
While these are obviously best served fresh off the barbie, you can also put the cooked leftovers in the fridge to be enjoyed at a later date! Otherwise, simply leave them to marinade as long as you need (and as long as the meat will allow) and grill them up whenever you want. Enjoy!
- 1.2kg chicken thigh fillet, trimmed
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons salt flakes
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Soak 12 skewers in a shallow dish of cold water for 30 minutes. Drain.
- Meanwhile, make marinade: Combine all ingredients, and pepper. Mix well. Cover. Refrigerate until required.
- Cut chicken into 3cm cubes. Thread onto skewers. Arrange in a ceramic dish. Pour over marinade. Turn to coat. Cover. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Remove skewers from marinade. Preheat a barbecue plate on high heat until hot. Cook skewers, basting with marinade, for 3 minutes each side, or until cooked through. Serve.