This cake is magic! It might possibly be the simplest and most delectable chocolate cake I’ve ever made. I’m giving myself serious pats on the back with this one and I’m only an occasional fan of hazelnut chocolate spread. Regardless of where you sit when it comes to chocolate, you’ll be wanting to give this recipe a go. Why? If what I’ve said so far isn’t an invitation in itself then add this to the list — you can knock it out in 30 minutes and you’ll only need two ingredients.
- 5 medium eggs
- 250g chocolate hazelnut spread (Nutella or Nutino)
- 2 Tbsp cocoa powder (optional)
- Spray oil for greasing
- Preheat oven to 175C.
- Add eggs into a stand mixer and whisk on medium-high speed for about 5-6 minutes, until eggs are pale and airy and have tripled in volume. Make sure your eggs are really triple in volume, or the recipe won’t work. Sprinkle 2 Tbsp of cocoa powder on top if you like, and set the egg mixture aside.
- Pour the chocolate hazelnut spread in a large microwave-safe bowl, cover and microwave for 30 seconds.
- Incorporate 1/3 of the whisked eggs into the bowl with the chocolate hazelnut spread, and very gently mix the batter with a spatula until well combined.
- Fold in another 1/3 of the eggs, then gently mix until combined. Repeat with remaining ⅓ of the eggs, and again, mix until all the ingredients are combined.
- Grease a 15cm cake pan and cover the bottom and the sides with parchment paper. Pour the cake mixture into the pan and bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely before serving.