You can whip these delicious muffins up in almost no time and they still taste just as dense and delicious as they’re everyday counterpart. You can serve these up at room temperature or heated in the microwave with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top! Enjoy!
- 150g dark chocolate, chopped
- 125g butter, softened, plus extra to grease
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1/3 cup (90g) caster sugar
- 100g almond meal
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar, extra
- Preheat oven to 170C. Grease 10 x 1/2 cup (125ml) muffin pans with the extra butter. Melt the chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water or in the microwave on medium power for 1 minute or until smooth.
- Add egg yolks, sugar and almond meal. Mix well.
- Use an electric beater or balloon whisk to beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. Sprinkle over the extra sugar. Beat until firm peaks form.
- Fold into the chocolate mixture until just combined. Spoon into the muffin pans. Bake 30-35 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean. Set aside to cool slightly then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.