Just one bite of these tasty homemade scrolls will have you hooked and leave everyone else begging for the recipe! And while these are absolutely delicious fresh from the oven, you can also pop them in an airtight container to enjoy throughout the week alongside your morning or afternoon cuppa.
- 2 1/4 cups self-raising flour
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 100g butter, chilled, finely chopped
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp golden syrup
- Preheat oven to 200C/180C fan-forced. Grease a 3cm-deep, 19cm x 29cm (base) slice pan.
- Combine flour and caster sugar in a bowl. Rub in half the butter until the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Combine milk and egg in a jug, then stir into flour mixture until a soft, sticky dough forms. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead for 30 seconds or until smooth.
- Roll out the dough into a 30cm x 40cm rectangle. Sprinkle with walnuts and almonds. Top with brown sugar and cinnamon. Dot with remaining butter.
- Roll up dough tightly from one long side. Using a serrated knife, trim ends. Cut the roll into 12 slices. Place slices in prepared pan. Bake for 22 to 25 minutes or until golden. Serve scrolls warm with golden syrup.