If you’re on the hunt for a refreshing yet sweet afternoon tea treat that will satisfy your cravings without leaving you feeling sick then this mouthwatering loaf is the perfect option. Not only is it a super tasty option, but it’s also incredibly easy to whip up!
With just a handful of budget-friendly ingredients, you won’t be able to pass this one up when deciding what to bake this week. Serve it up with a hot cuppa in the afternoon and you’ll be in dessert heaven!
- 25g butter, softened
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1 large lemon, rind finely grated
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cups self-raising flour, sifted
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
Lemon sour cream icing
- 1 1/2 cups icing sugar mixture
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 lemon, rind finely grated
- Preheat oven to 180C. Grease a 6cm deep, 9cm x 19cm (base) loaf pan. Line base and sides with baking paper, allowing a 2cm overhang at both long ends.
- Using an electric mixer, beat butter until light and fluffy. Add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until sugar is dissolved. Add lemon rind and half the egg. Beat well. Add remaining egg and beat until well combined.
- Using a large metal spoon, gently stir flour, milk and coconut into butter mixture (do not over-mix). Spoon mixture into prepared loaf pan. Smooth surface. Bake for 50 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Allow cake to cool for 10 minutes in pan. Lift onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Make lemon icing: Sift icing sugar into a bowl. Add sour cream and lemon rind. Stir until well combined. Pour icing over cake. Allow to set. Serve.