Tuna is by far one of the most underrated foods out there. Not only is it absolutely packed full of protein but it’s one of the cheapest, most filling foods you can buy at the supermarket.
With just a handful of ingredients, this super budget-friendly dish will be an instant family favourite! While this recipe is great on its own, feel free to add in any extra veggies or foods that you’re looking to use up before they go bad!
- 1 cup rice
- 30 g unsalted butter
- 2 tbs plain flour
- 1 1/2 cups full cream milk
- 185 g canned tuna in springwater
- 1 cup cheese, grated
- 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables
- 125 g cream-style canned corn
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- Boil rice in large pot of water until soft.
- Melt unsalted butter in saucepan. Add flour to butter. Stir for 2 mins. Gradually add milk. Stir white sauce until the mixture starts to thicken. Add grated cheese. Add drained tuna. Add creamed corn. Season to taste with peppers.
- Add frozen veggies to almost cooked rice. Cook for a few minutes until done and rinse rice and veggies under cold water.
- Pour rice and veggies into casserole dish. Pour tuna mix over rice and veggies. Sprinkle with grated cheese and grill for a few minutes until lightly browned. Serve.