Just because the temperature is up doesn’t mean you can’t still enjoy a nice hot cuppa alongside a sweet treat. And this zesty lemon drizzle slice is absolutely perfect for bringing a summery feel to your afternoon tea!
With a super simple method and ingredients list, this recipe is one of those classics that has stood the test of time. You’ll be hard pressed to find someone who doesn’t love this slice which is why it’s so perfect for guests and family get togethers!
- 70g softened unsalted butter
- 120g caster sugar
- 2 medium eggs
- 140g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- finely grated zest 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp lemon curd
- 2 tbsp full-fat milk
- 30g granulated sugar
- juice 1 lemon
- 250g icing sugar
- 3 tbsp water
- splash of yellow food colouring
- Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Line 20 x 20cm square baking tin with baking paper. Use electric whisk to beat butter and sugar together until pale, light and fluffy. Add eggs and mix again. Add flour, baking powder, lemon zest, lemon curd and milk, and mix with wooden spoon until all ingredients are thoroughly combined. Pour mixture into prepared tin and bake for 25-30 mins or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Mix sugar and lemon juice together and pour over hot cake. Leave to cool in tin.
- Mix icing sugar with just enough water to give a runny, but not watery, icing. Put small amount of icing in separate bowl. Add few drops of food colouring to icing until pale yellow. Spoon into disposable icing bag.
- Remove cake from tin and peel off baking paper. Sit cake on a wire rack over baking tray. Spread white icing over the top. Pipe thin lines of coloured icing across the width of the cake. Leave to set before cutting into slices.