After losing his royal titles and being removed from royal duties, the disgraced Prince Andrew has been dealt yet another damaging blow after it was revealed that he is set to lost his tax payer funded royal protection.
Reportedly, Andrew’s armed royal protection will be replaced by private security officers who are only permitted to carry tasers.
It’s expected that Andrew will have to foot the bill for private security, given that he is no longer a working royal, he is no longer entitled to the same level of protection.
A royal insider told The Sun that “Andrew is no longer a working royal and carries out zero royal duties so there is no automatic right that the British people should pay for armed protection.”
“He is still a high profile person and would be no doubt a security target,” the insider said.
“But there is no longer any justification for taxpayers to carry the cost of armed police.
“He has been demoted by the Royal Family and as a result his security is downgraded.
“It is a shattering blow to his ego. Made worse by fact if he cannot afford it he’d be cap in hand begging for money from his older brother.”
The announcement is the latest in a series of public losses for Andrew after the fallout from his sexual abuse allegations.
A statement released by Buckingham Palace announced the decision regarding the Duke of York.
“With The Queen’s approval and agreement, The Duke of York’s military affiliations and Royal patronages have been returned to The Queen,” the statement said.
“The Duke of York will continue not to undertake any public duties and is defending this case as a private citizen.”
View this post on Instagram
Andrew was then dealt another blow after he was stripped of yet another honour, following the City of York’s decision to depose him of his title as Honorary Freeman.
Andrew was given the honour in 1987 after his wedding to Sarah Ferguson, however, on Wednesday, April 27, the York City Council voted to remove the prestigious title in a meeting that only lasted 40 minutes.
York town hall chief Darryl Smalley told The Sun that removing the title “sends the right message that we as a city stand with victims of abuse”.
“The next logical step is now for Prince Andrew to do the right thing and relinquish his Duke of York title,” he said.
Calls for Andrew to relinquish his Honorary Freeman title began to gain traction earlier this year when City of York Labour MP Rachael Maskell told The Guardian, “this association with York must end”.
“It’s untenable for the Duke of York to cling on to his title another day longer,” she said.
“There’s a very serious allegation made against this man of privilege and entitlement. I’m working with agencies to tackle sexual violence and misogyny.”
DISCLAIMER: If you are concerned about violence or misconduct impacting you, your family, friends or workplace, the numbers below may help. National Sexual Assault, Domestic Family Violence Counselling Service — 1800 737 732, Mensline Australia — 1300 789 978, Relationships Australia — 1300 364 277, BeyondBlue — 1300 224 636; Suicide Call Back Service — 1300 659 467; Headspace — 1800 650 890; Kids Helpline — 1800 551 800; Lifeline Australia — 13 11 14 for confidential support, advice and referral that will help you explore your options.