It’s been over 25 years since 6-year-old JonBenét Ramsey was found murdered in her family home and police are no closer to identifying who is responsible for the killing of the child beauty pageant queen.
The 6-year-old was reported missing on December 26, 1996, after her family alleged to have found a ransom note inside their home. Her body was found in the basement, a later autopsy revealed that the cause of her death was strangulation.
The Major Crimes Unit received and reviewed more than 21,000 tips, letters, and emails and detectives have visited 19 states to interview or speak with more than 1,000 individuals in connection to the crime.
Despite police having processed more than 1,500 pieces of evidence and analysing nearly 1,000 DNA samples, nobody has been charged in relation to the case.
The stalled progress in the investigation and lack of answers has understandably been a source of frustration for the Ramsey family, most recently JonBenét’s half-brother John Andrew Ramsey took to Twitter to criticise the Boulder police department for failing to solve the case.
“If you haven’t noticed I got an issue with the @boulderpolice. They maliciously and wrongly defamed my family and have subverted justice by not searching for the killer of my sister #jonbenet. I will hold them accountable. Otherwise I am pretty amicable guy,” he tweeted.
If you haven’t noticed I got an issue with the @boulderpolice. They maliciously and wrongly defamed my family and have subverted justice by not searching for the killer of my sister #jonbenet. I will hold them accountable. Otherwise I am pretty amicable guy https://t.co/caAlsng5pq
— John Andrew Ramsey (@JRamsey_Truth) October 11, 2022
It’s not the first time John has called out the police force for the lack of progress in the long-running investigation, earlier this year while commenting on a new federal law, that was passed in the United States that could compel investigators to re-open cold cases, he said that the new law is a “promising step” to solving the decades-long mystery and could work as a “blueprint” for Boulder police who have been investigating the case.
“It’s something we’ve been pushing for,” John told The U.S Sun.
“It’s not a punitive action; it’s helpful for local police departments.
“If I’m stuck on something, I would want someone to look at the problem with a clear set of eyes and fresh ideas.
“We’re not the only family like this who face challenges where police are unwilling to share information.
“It’s been 25 years. It’s time for Boulder police to talk.”
Despite the ongoing criticism, Boulder Police Department has defended its actions regarding the case with Chief Maris Herold recently claiming that “we have a shared goal to bring justice—and hopefully some peace—to JonBenet’s family and everyone who was impacted by her loss.”
“Our investigation with federal, state and local partners has never stopped. That includes new ways to use DNA technology. We’ve always used state of the art technology as it has been at the forefront of this investigation. Every time the DNA technology changed, we worked to make sure the evidence could be tested,” Boulder Police said in a statement.
“This investigation has always been and will continue to be a priority for the Boulder Police Department.”
The investigation into JonBenét’s case captivated the public with speculation initially falling on the family. JonBenét’s parents were cleared of any wrongdoing in 2008 after DNA evidence collected from JonBenet’s clothing matched an unknown third party.