This deliciously cheesy pie is the perfect vegetarian dish for those who feel like a light meal for lunch or dinner. Wrapped in a tasty and crunchy golden filo pastry, this pie is best served with a fresh garden salad or a side of roasted veggies. It is super easy to cook and will definitely become a crowd favourite.
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 bunches spinach, leaves removed and washed
- 2 tbs finely chopped dill
- 200g reduced fat feta, crumbled
- 1/2 cup grated tasty cheese
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 60g butter, melted
- 10 sheets filo pastry
- In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, heat oil. Add onion and cook for 3 minutes, until tender. Chop spinach roughly and add to pan. Cook for 2 minutes, until slightly wilted. Remove from heat and leave to cool. Fold in dill, feta, cheddar, cheese, nutmeg and eggs. Season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 180C. Brush melted butter over a 26cm x 16cm (base) x 3cm deep slab tin. Place a sheet of filo on a flat surface and brush butter over the top. Place another piece of filo onto and brush with butter. Repeat 4 times.
- Line prepared tin with the layered pastry. Spoon spinach mixture into the base of the pastry. Layer the remaining four remaining sheets of pastry as before. Place on top of spinach filling and trim edges to fit. Brush over top with butter. Bake for 40-45 minutes, making sure top is golden. Cut into even squares and serve.