Packets of frozen vegetables are absolute saviours when it comes to having a lazy night of cooking and this dish is perfect for those nights you want something simple that still tastes delicious. This recipe also has a lot of ingredients that you probably already have lying around in your pantry, and in classic fried rice fashion, if you don’t have the exact ingredients, a replacement is usually easy to find. This dish is also great to make in bulk if you’re looking to prepare dinners or lunches for the week or if you’re providing to a hungry crowd of people. Enjoy!
- 1 long red chilli, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon sweet chilli sauce, plus extra to serve
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 500g packet frozen stir fry vegetable mix
- 2 cups cold cooked jasmine rice
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 green onions, sliced diagonally
- 1/4 cup fresh coriander leaves
- 1/4 cup fresh Thai basil leaves
- 1/4 cup bean sprouts, trimmed
- 1 tablespoon fried shallots
- Place chilli, soy sauce, fish sauce, sweet chilli sauce and lime juice in a bowl. Mix to combine.
- Heat oil in a wok over medium-high heat. Swirl to coat. Add frozen vegetables. Stir-fry for 2 to 3 minutes. Add rice. Stir-fry for 3 to 4 minutes or until heated through. Add sauce mixture to wok. Stir-fry for 1 to 2 minutes or until well combined.
- Move rice to one side of wok. Add egg to other side. Cook egg while stirring occasionally, for 1 minute or until scrambled and just cooked through. Toss egg through rice mixture. Add 1⁄2 each of the green onion, coriander and basil. Toss to combine. Serve topped with remaining green onion, coriander and basil, bean sprouts, fried shallots and extra sweet chilli sauce. Serve.