Spanakopita is a popular Greek spinach and feta pie that makes a great vegetarian meal option. This recipe creates the juiciest and most fresh-tasting spinach and egg meal that you’ve ever tasted
- 6 eggs
- ½ bunch silverbeet or 120g bag baby spinach
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 leek, cleaned and thinly sliced
- ½ bunch dill, chopped
- ½ bunch flat parsley, chopped
- ½ cup cream or stock of choice
- 100g fetta, crumbled
- ½ tsp salt
- Pepper, to taste
- Fresh pita or crusty bread, to serve
- Remove stems from silverbeet and coarsely chop leaves, set aside.
- In a large pan over medium heat brown garlic in olive oil, then add leek and sauté till softened. About 2-3 minutes. Add silverbeet or baby spinach and wilt.
- Once softened, add the dill and flat parsley and stir through. Add cream and season with salt and pepper to taste. Then, use a spoon or spatula to move the mix aside and create 6 evenly spaced wells for the eggs to sit in.
- Turn the heat to low and crack your eggs carefully into the wells. Place a lid on the pan* and cook over low heat until the whites have set but yolks are still runny, about 5 minutes. Check the wobble on the whites and cook to your liking.
- Garnish with a little extra chopped dill, parsley and fetta if you like. The best way to serve this is in the middle of the table, straight from the pan, with fresh bread on the side.