Get ready to indulge your senses with the mouth-watering aroma and flavours of this slow-cooked Moroccan lamb casserole with roast vegetable couscous. As the lamb simmers in a fragrant blend of spices, the tantalizing scent will fill your kitchen, making your mouth water in anticipation.
The tender chunks of lamb paired with the warm, comforting flavours of the vegetables and couscous will delight your taste buds with every bite. So, gather your ingredients and let’s begin creating this irresistible dish that will leave you feeling satisfied and happy.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 800g lamb shoulder, trimmed of excess fat and diced
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 3 cups (750ml) water
- 400g sweet potato, cut into 3cm pieces
- 8 seeded dates, sliced
- 2 tbsp flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 2 parsnips, cut into 1cm pieces
- 2 zucchini, cut into 1cm pieces
- 1 red capsicum, cut into 1cm pieces
- 1 1/2 cups couscous
- 1 lemon, zested
- Preheat oven to 200C.
- Heat half the oil in a 6L heat-proof casserole dish on top of the stove. Add lamb in batches and cook until browned. Remove and set aside.
- Add half remaining oil to the pan with onion and garlic and cook on a medium heat for 5 minutes or until onion is soft and golden.
- Add spices and cook for a further minute or until fragrant. Return lamb to the pan. Add tomato paste and water and stir until combined. Cover and transfer to the oven, cooking for 1 hour.
- Add sweet potato and dates to the lamb and cook for a further 35 minutes, or until lamb is tender and sweet potato is soft.
- Fold through half the parsley.
- Place parsnip, zucchini and capsicum on a baking tray and drizzle with remaining oil. Cook for 15-20 minutes or until soft.
- Before serving, place couscous and lemon zest in a bowl, covering with 2 cups (500ml) boiling water. Set aside until the water has been absorbed.
- Flake couscous grains with a fork to separate and then fold in roasted vegetables.
- Serve lamb with the vegetable couscous, sprinkling with remaining parsley.