I used strawberry and apricot jams for this recipe, but feel free to substitute if neither of those are to your taste.
- 250g butter, softened
- 1 cup icing sugar, sifted
- 2 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 2 1/4 cups plain flour
- 1/3 cup rice flour or corn flour
- 1/4 cup strawberry jam
- 1/4 cup apricot jam
- Extra icing sugar, for dusting
- Place butter, icing sugar and vanilla into an electric beater and beat until light and fluffy. Stir flour and rice flour into butter mixture until a soft dough forms. Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface and gently knead until smooth.
- Preheat oven to 160C. Line 2 baking trays with baking paper. Half dough and form each piece into a round disc. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 25 minutes or until firm. Roll 1 disc of dough between 2 sheets of baking paper until 4mm thick. Using a 7cm round fluted biscuit cutter, cut 12 biscuits from dough and place onto a baking tray.
- Repeat with remaining dough, this time cutting a small star with a cutter from the centre of each biscuit. Place on remaining tray. Bake for 15 minutes or until firm to the touch and cooked through. Transfer biscuits to a wire rack to cool.
- Place the whole biscuits onto a flat surface. Spoon 2 teaspoons of jam onto each biscuit, spreading almost to the edge of biscuit. Dust icing sugar over remaining biscuits with star cut out. Place star biscuits over jam biscuits.