If you’re looking for something a bit different for afternoon tea, give these amazing doughnuts a try!
They’re sweet and a little bit tart, and make a lovely accompaniment to a cup of tea or coffee, and they’re surprisingly easy to make with no deep frying required!
1. Preheat the oven to 220C and grease a doughnut tin with butter or nonstick cooking spray.
2. Beat together butter, oil, and sugar for around 2 minutes or until fluffy. Add eggs, vanilla, lemon zest and buttermilk and mix until smooth.
3. Add flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt and mix until just combined. Stir in blueberries.
4. Spoon batter into a piping bag or freezer bag and cut so that opening is at least big enough for the blueberries to come out.
5. Pipe batter once around each doughnut hole – they will expand and rise.
6. Bake for 7-8 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean. Leave to cool for 10 minutes before removing it from the tin.
7. For the glaze, combine sugar, lemon zest, and 6 tablespoons of milk or lemon juice. If required, add the remaining liquid. When doughnuts have cooled completely, dip them in the glaze then turn right-way-up so the glaze runs down the sides. Leave the glaze to set before tucking in!