This superb roast chicken recipe is perfect all year round. The classic flavours of the chicken will pair beautifully with a mix of roasted vegetables (I’d recommend potato, carrots, zucchini, eggplant and even capsicum).
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 medium lemons, rind finely grated, then lemons cut into quarters
- 1/3 cup oregano, chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2kg whole chicken
- 2 large onions, cut into 2cm-thick slices
- Preheat barbecue (or oven) to 180C. In a bowl, combine garlic, lemon rind, oregano and oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Fill chicken cavity with reserved lemons.
- Place onion slices in the base of a large greased roasting tray.
- Sit chicken (breast side up) on top of the onions. Rub half the herb mixture over the chicken. Season well with salt and pepper.
- Place tray in the barbecue (or oven) and cook with lid down for 1 hour. Baste chicken with remaining flavoured oil.
- Barbecue chicken for a further 50 minutes or until juices run clear. (You are wanting to cook the chicken for about 25-30 minutes per 500g, or until the internal temperature reaches 75C.) Remove chicken, wrap in aluminium foil and rest for 15-20 minutes before serving.