The mixture of seafood and cheesy mashed potatoes here is the ultimate comfort food. In my opinion, it’s the perfect recipe for any time of the year! If you prefer, you can substitute the potato for filo pastry (you’ll need about 16 sheets), but the mash is another serve of vegetables.
- 1kg baby potatoes
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 100g unsalted butter
- 50g plain flour
- 500ml milk, plus 1/4 cup milk
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 25g Parmesan, grated
- 1 leek, sliced
- 300g smoked cod fillet, skin removed, cut into chunks
- 300g salmon fillet, skin removed, boned and cut into chunks
- 300g snapper fillet, skin removed, boned and cut into chunks
- 8 large green prawns, peeled, deveined and halved
- 100g peas
- 1 tbsp finely chopped tarragon leaves
- 1/2 cup grated cheese (I used cheddar)
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Place baby potatoes in a large pan and cover with plenty of water. Add a pinch of salt. Bring to the boil and then cook until potatoes are tender. Drain water and allow potatoes to cool.
- Melt 50g butter in a saucepan over medium heat, then add flour and stir until combined. Cook for 1 minute, then gradually add 500ml milk. Bring to a simmer and cook for 4-5 minutes until thick. Season. Add nutmeg and Parmesan. Stir to combine, then set aside.
- In a separate saucepan, melt 25g butter over medium heat, add leek and cook for 2-3 minutes until tender, then season. Add leek to white sauce along with diced fish, prawns, peas and tarragon. Season with salt and pepper.
- Mash potatoes, then add 1/4 cup of milk and remaining butter. Mix well to combine. Your mash should be light and creamy.
- Place fish mixture into a baking dish. Top with mashed potatoes and sprinkle over cheddar cheese.
- Bake for 20-35 minutes until golden.