Meat pies are hard to beat when it comes to delicious comfort foods and this mouth-watering pork recipe is no exception. While these bite-sized treats taste best fresh from the oven, they’re fantastic for packing up and enjoying at picnics or freezing to be heated up throughout the week too.
They’re super easy to whip up in almost no time at all. The filling only includes five ingredients and while this recipe recommends making your own pastry from scratch, if you’re running low on time simply buy pre-made shortcrust for the case and puff pastry for the lid if you want something lighter.
- 800g lean pork mince
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 tsp English mustard powder
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 200g lard, copha or solidified oil
- 750g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- Oil, for greasing
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Add pork, onion, nutmeg, mustard powder and Worcestershire sauce to large mixing bowl. Stir well to combine. Season.
- Grease each hole of 12 hole muffin tin. Line each with baking paper.
- For pastry, add lard and 250ml water to small pan over high heat. Bring mixture to the bowl. Sieve flour into bowl of food processor and add 2 tsp salt. While processor is on, pour in lard and water mix. Blend until smooth dough forms. Turn out into bowl. Remove two-thirds, covering final third with tea towel to keep warm.
- Roll larger piece onto floured surface to about 2-3mm thick – work quickly as the dough is easier to work with when warm. Cut out 12 x 11cm circles using pastry cutter. Line each hole in muffin tin with the pastry circles. Gently push in with fingers and leave slight overhang.
- Heat oven to 180C. Put baking tray in hot oven. Spoon filling evenly among pastry cases, pushing down lightly. Roll out remaining pastry on floured surface and stamp out 12 x 8cm circles. Brush edges of filled cases with egg. Place lids on top. Pinch together edges with your fingers. Brush with beaten egg. Set aside the rest for later.
- Bake in oven for 30 mins. Remove tin and tray. Gently remove pies from holes. Brush sides and top again with egg. Place directly onto baking tray. Turn oven to 200C. Cook for 25-30 mins until sides are set and tops are deep golden colour. Remove and cool on a wire rack.