This uniquely tasting sweet treat is just something else and the twist that the cherry flavour adds to the otherwise decadent chocolatey taste sets the entire cake off. The fudge-like base is the perfect consistency, complete with a few chocolate chips to add some crunch. While this cake tastes mouth-wateringly good on its own, you can always pair it up with some whipped cream, plain vanilla ice cream or even a mixed berry jam to really get your taste buds going. Bake this in no time at all and serve it up to impress all of your hungry guests. Yum!
- 240 ml hot water
- 30g cocoa powder
- 140g plain flour, sifted
- 200g caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable/canola oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 230g fresh cherries, pitted and halved
- 2 teaspoons plain flour
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 180C. Grease a square 20cm pan.
- Add hot water and cocoa powder to small bowl. Whisk together until smooth. Set aside to cool slightly until just warm.
- Add flour, sugar, baking powder and salt to large bowl. Mix together to combine.
- Add eggs, oil, vanilla extract and water-cocoa mixture to a medium bowl. Mix together until combined. Add egg mixture into flour mixture. Mix together with rubber spatula just until combined (making sure not to over-mix).
- Add cherries to small bowl with 2 teaspoons flour and toss to mix. Fold cherries and chocolate chips into cake batter.
- Spoon batter into prepared pan and smooth the top with back of spoon. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until skewer inserted into the centre of cake comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for 5 minutes before turning out onto wire rack to cool completely. Serve.