Forget the basic shop biscuits, this scrumptious apple and cinnamon tea cake is the perfect afternoon snack. Sit down with a cup of tea, grab a book and you’ll be set for a relaxing afternoon!
- 125g butter softened, plus 2 tsp melted butter
- 2/3 cup caster sugar, plus 2 tsp extra caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/3 cup self-raising flour
- 2 tbsp custard powder
- 1/3 cup milk
- 770g sliced apple
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 180°c. Grease and line a deep 20cm spring-form round cake tin.
- Cream butter, sugar and vanilla with electric beaters until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each.
- Sift flour and custard powder together and fold into butter mixture in batches alternately with milk.
- Spread half the mixture into prepared tin. Arrange half the apple slices over batter and cover with remaining cake mixture. Decorate top with remaining apple slices. Brush with melted butter and sprinkle with combined sugar and cinnamon.
- Bake for 50 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean when tested. Cool in tin for 10 minutes before turning out.