If you’re searching for a nostalgic dessert treat to whip up for family and friends, you can’t go past this delicious key lime pie. With just a handful of ingredients and under an hour of prep time, it’s definitely one of the easier options out there.
This is the perfect dish to bring along to a gathering as it’s not only delicious but it’ll also serve as a blast from the past to anyone who used to enjoy it as a kid. Serve it up with a generous amount of whipped cream and you’re good to go! Enjoy!
- 250g packet Granita biscuits
- 125g butter, melted
- 4 egg yolks
- 395g can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lime rind
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 2 egg whites
- Lime, thinly sliced, to serve
- Whipped cream, to serve
- Preheat oven to 180C/160C fan-forced. Grease a 3cm-deep, 24cm round (base) fluted, loose-based flan tin. Process biscuits until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add melted butter. Process until combined. Press mixture over base and side of prepared tin. Place tin on a baking tray. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until golden. Cool.
- Reduce oven to 160C/140C fan-forced. Using an electric mixer, beat egg yolks until pale and thick. Gradually beat in condensed milk, lime rind and lime juice. Using an electric mixer, beat egg whites in a clean, dry bowl until soft peaks form.
- Gently fold egg whites, in two batches, into yolk mixture. Pour mixture into pie crust. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until filling has just set (filling will be slightly wobbly in the centre). Cool. Refrigerate for 2 hours. Top pie with sliced lime and serve with whipped cream.