This is definitely a bit of a naughty treat but once you try it, you’ll understand why you just have to make something this delicious every so often! This tart has all the right components to make a super silky, rich and sweet dessert that is absolutely perfect for bringing out at dinner parties or using as the main cake for big celebrations like birthdays. The chocolate mixture is so smooth and scrumptious, while the simple pastry casing helps hold it all together. This recipe includes ingredients and instructions to make your own pastry but you can always use the ready-made stuff if you prefer. Once cooked, serve with a dollop of cream and enjoy!
- 150ml whole milk
- 500ml double cream
- 65g golden caster sugar
- 300g good quality dark chocolate, broken into small squares
- 2 medium free-range eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 200g fresh raspberries, plus extra to serve
- For the crisp chocolate pastry
- 175g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 25g good quality cocoa powder
- 50g icing sugar
- 100g chilled unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 medium free-range egg yolk
- 4 tsp cold water
- For pastry, sift flour, cocoa powder, icing sugar and pinch of salt into bowl of a food processor. Add butter. Process together until resembling fine breadcrumbs. Beat egg yolk together with water. Add mixture to processor. Process to combine until mixture sticks together. Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface. Knead until smooth. Shape dough into flat disc and wrap in plastic wrap. Chill for 15 minutes in refrigerator.
- Remove from fridge. Roll out thinly on lightly floured surface. Line base and sides of 25cm (across the top), 4cm deep, loose-bottomed tart tin with pastry. Trim edges. Chill in fridge for 20 minutes.
- Put baking sheet onto middle shelf of oven. Preheat to 200C. Line pastry case with baking paper and uncooked rice or baking weights. Bake on preheated baking tray for 15 minutes. Remove paper and weights/rice. Bake for 5 minutes. Remove from oven. Set aside to cool. Turn heat down to 170C.
- For filling, add milk, cream and sugar to pan. Slowly bring to the boil, stirring gently. Remove from heat, add chocolate squares. Stir until smooth. Cool slightly, add eggs and vanilla extract, then mix together well.
- Scatter raspberries in tart case. Pour over filling, carefully slide tart back onto baking sheet in oven. Bake for 20-30 minutes or until filling is cooked but still slightly wobbly. Remove. Leave to cool and set.Cut into thin slices. Serve.