If you struggle with anxiety and depression, you might be surprised to know that some foods will be more beneficial for reducing your symptoms than others.
Dr Uma Naidoo, an expert in both psychology and food, recently wrote about the power of food in treating anxiety for Harvard Health Publications.
She says that foods such as avocado, gherkins (or pickles), egg yolks, nuts and seeds, asparagus and other foods have serious mental health benefits.
Dr Naidoo explains that maintaining a healthy, balanced diet that includes plenty of water, and lower levels of caffeine and alcohol can help relieve anxiety, while maintaining your blood sugar level creates a calmer feeling.
Check out what she recommends below.
Ad. Article continues below.
- Foods naturally rich in magnesium — like leafy greens, spinach, beans, nuts, seeds and whole grains
- Any food that is rich in zinc — think oysters, cashews, liver, beef and egg yolks
- Omega-3-rich foods — like salmon and other fatty fish
- Foods that probiotic-rich — such as gherkins and pickles, sauerkraut and the fermented milk product, kefir
- Vitamin B-rich foods like avocado and almonds
Dr Naidoo says that when you eat these foods regularly they have been shown to reduce the symptoms of anxiety disorders.
Of course, as good as all this food is, it’s still important to talk to your doctor about your anxiety symptoms, especially if they are severe or last more than two weeks according to Dr Naidoo.
Have you ever struggled with depression and anxiety? Do you believe that diet can influence your ability to cope?