The roasted butternut pumpkin in this recipe is not only delicious, but is also an excellent source of Vitamin A, which is known to play an important role in eye health, reducing the risk of age-related macular degeneration.
More easy lunches for an active life in this video.
- 1 Garlic Bulb
- 2kg Butternut Pumpkin – peel, deseed & cut into a 2cm dice.
- 240gm Brown Onion – peel, halve & cut into quarters.
- As Required – Extra Virgin Olive Oil Spray
- ¼ of a Roasted Garlic Bulb (see step 2.)
- 80gm Salted Pistachio Nuts – remove shells.
- 2lt Chicken or Vegetable Stock
- 6 Sage Leaves – rinse, drain & roughly tear.
- To taste – Sea Salt & Ground Black Pepper
- 80gm Natural Yoghurt
- 40gm Salted Pistachio Nuts – remove shells & roughly chop.
Ad. Article continues below.
- Pre-heat an oven to a moderate temperature – 160°C.
- Prick a garlic bulb 4 times with a fork. Place onto a roasting tray, and place into the oven for 50-60 minutes or until the bulb has softened. Remove from the oven, allow to cool, then slice off the bottom ½cm from the bulb’s base, and squeeze out the garlic puree, place into an airtight container and set to one side.
- In separate mixing bowls, add the pumpkin and onion, spray each with oil, and toss until both vegetables are thoroughly coated.
- Place the pumpkin onto a roasting tray and place in the oven to roast, after 20 minutes, add the onion and continue to cook for a further 40 minutes or until both vegetables are tender and lightly browned, then remove from the oven.
- Place the roasted pumpkin and onion into a saucepan, add a quarter of the roasted garlic puree, the pistachio nuts and chicken or vegetable stock, bring up to the boil, then reduce the heat, and gently simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat, add the torn sage leaves, and blend the soup to a smooth consistency, then season to taste.
Reheat the soup and distribute it between the required number of serving bowls, gently top each soup with a generous dollop of natural yoghurt and a sprinkle of the chopped pistachio nuts, then serve immediately.