The top detective leading the search for missing toddler William Tyrrell has been removed from the case.
Detective Chief Inspector Gary Jubelin has been taken off the case for alleged misconduct. Jubelin has been interviewed by Professional Standards over claims he used a mobile phone to record a person without a warrant, according to 7 News. Jubelin has made no comment about the matter.
NSW Police confirmed to Starts at 60 that an internal investigation is currently underway.
“An internal investigation is currently underway,” a NSW Police Spokesperson told Starts at 60. “The acting state coroner and counsel assisting have been briefed and the William Tyrell inquest will proceed as planned.”
Jubelin had been assigned to William Tyrell’s case shortly after the young boy went missing from his foster grandmother’s home in Kendall, New South Wales, in 2014 and had played a significant role in the investigation. It follows reports from late last year that the date for the inquest into the disappearance of the young child will take place from March 25 for a period of five days.
This will be undertaken at the new Forensic Medicine and Coroners Court Complex in western Sydney.
The inquest into the disappearance of William Tyrrell will be held at the new Forensic Medicine & Coroners Court Complex at Lidcombe. The first segment of the inquest is expected to begin on 25 March 2019 & is set down for five days. https://t.co/b4ezEz3rjm
— Justice NSW (@NSWJustice) December 11, 2018
NSW Police previously revealed that the case had been referred to the state coroner.
“Over the past year, investigators have continued to explore lines of inquiry in an effort to find out what happened to William, including a large-scale forensic search. Strike Force Rosann is engaged with the NSW Coroner and it is proposed an inquest will be held before Deputy State Coroner Grahame next year,” a police spokesperson said in a statement released on the four year anniversary since William’s disappearance last year.
It’s been one of Australia’s biggest missing child cases to date since William vanished on September 12, 2014. Last year marked four years since William’s disappearance. He was just three at the time.
Writing in an emotional post on Facebook to mark the anniversary, the missing boy’s family said: “Today marks 4 tragic years since we last saw little William. 4 years of heartache and 4 years of endless tears for everyone who held him dear – not knowing where he is or what has happened to him.
“Today also marks the gift of unending love, hope and support from across Australia and around the globe.”
Strike Force Rosann detectives carried out a four-week forensic search of bushland at Kendall last year, not far from where little William vanished in a Spider-Man costume, as he played outside of his foster grandmother’s home. The initial searches focused on only locating William, whereas the most recent search considered the possibility of human intervention.