Notorious serial killer Ivan Milat under police guard in hospital

Share:
Ivan Milat and Marilyn Milat-Tempest were secretly dating for 11 years. Source: YouTube/7 News Australia.

Notorious serial killer Ivan Milat has been admitted to a public hospital in Sydney where he remains under round-the-clock police guard.

The 74-year-old convicted murderer was transported 200km from the country’s most secure jail Goulburn on Tuesday to hospital, reports 7News, where he is believed to be undergoing tests.

Peter Severin from Corrective Services confirmed to 7News that a 74-year-old inmate had been taken from the super max facility to the Prince of Wales Hospital in Sydney’s eastern suburbs.

“We’ve made very strong security arrangements, we’ve got specialist teams to ensure that at any time there is an absolute guarantee of safety and security, both in the context of the person but also the context of the environment that the person has to be in for a period of time.” Severin said.

Milat, who murdered seven backpackers between 1989 and 1993, is said to be receiving treatment for a worsening age-related condition. He will have two officers stationed with him at all times during his time in hospital.

It has been more than 20 years since Ivan Milat was handed seven life sentences after he was found guilty of murdering seven backpackers in New South Wales, making him one of Australia’s most notorious serial killers.

A jury found Milat guilty on July 27, 1996, for the murders of Caroline Clarke, Joanne Walters, Simone Schmidl, Anja Habschied, Gabor Neugebauer, James Gibson and Deborah Everist, without the possibility of parole. He was also convicted of the attempted murder, false imprisonment and robbery of Paul Onions.

Onions, from the UK, had been backpacking in NSW in 1990 when the driver of a hitched ride, later identified as Milat, attempted to kidnap him at gunpoint. He managed to escape, before flagging down a passing car and reporting the incident to police.

Later, in 1993, Onions made a call to Task Force Air officers after seeing an international news report about the discovery of the bodies at Belanglo State Forest, setting the case in motion.

Milat made his latest bid for a case review in October 2017, however this was dismissed by NSW Supreme Court justice Megan Latham.

Have you been following this story?

Leave your comment

Retrieving conversation…