These refreshing treats are absolutely perfect as a tasty afternoon bite, ideal for dipping into a hot cup of tea or coffee. Lighter than other sweet biscuits, these lemon treats are definitely worth giving a go. While the glaze is, of course, optional, it really is the icing on the cake (so to speak) and ties all the delicious flavours together. It also adds a bit of moistness to the biscuit and helps to complement the sweetness with its yummy zesty taste. They’re perfect for cooking in bulk and popping into a biscuit jar or even taking along to a picnic. Yum!
- 2 1/4 cups plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 1 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 4-5 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 180C. Line two baking trays with baking paper. Set aside.
- Add flour, baking powder and salt to small bowl. Whisk to combine. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine sugar and lemon zest. Rub together with fingers, until fragrant.
- Add butter to lemon mixture. Beat with electric beaters until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla extract. Beat together until smooth. Gradually beat in flour mixture on low speed until completely blended.
- Spoon tablespoons of batter onto prepared trays. Make sure they aren’t touching. Press down dough with heel of hand. Bake for 12-14 minutes or until just set and slightly golden brown. Cool on tray for 2 minutes before transferring to wire racks to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, in medium bowl, whisk together icing sugar and lemon juice. Drizzle over biscuits. Sit until icing has set.