Rumours were rife at the end of last year that, following her highly publicised divorce from Karl Stefanovic, Cassandra Thorburn would appear on celebrity talent show Dancing with the Stars.
Now, the mum-of-three has revealed that the rumours are in fact true, confirming she has signed up to take part in the dancing competition when the show returns to Aussie screens next month.
The former journalist said that she was unsure about taking on the task at first, but revealed how her late father convinced her to give the talent show a go before he passed away.
“I decided to do it because it was one of the last conversations I had with my dad before he passed away,” she said.
“It had been offered to me and at first I thought, no that’s crazy. I couldn’t possibly do that. If you don’t do something, an opportunity that you never thought would come up and if you said no … you will regret it one day.
“And I thought ‘OK so let’s go for it’.”
Australia, meet your first Dancing With The Stars 2019 contestants… Samuel Johnson, Sir Curtly Ambrose and Cassandra Thorburn! https://t.co/oU8UdMUZBK
— 10 News First (@10NewsFirst) January 23, 2019
Thorburn, who split from husband of 21-years Karl in 2016, also revealed her excitement at the prospect of learning a brand new skill on the show, adding: “Every girl would love to learn to dance.”
Former Today show host Karl tied the knot with new partner Jasmine Yarbrough in Mexico in December, just days before he was sacked from his hosting job on the Channel Nine breakfast show.
It was announced in September last year that the show would be returning to Network Ten with Amanda Keller and Grant Denyer at the helm, both of whom have previously taken part as contestants.
“This series will be much bigger, more glamorous and dazzling than ever. Australia has never seen dancing this spectacular,” Denyer said at the time. “Get ready for something truly outstanding. I’m so happy I’m crying sequins down my fake tanned cheeks.”
Cassandra will be joined by a host of other household names including The Secret Life of Us star Samuel Johnson and former cricketer Sir Curtly Ambrose. Other rumoured contestants, who are yet to be confirmed include The Biggest Loser’s Michelle Bridges and Studio 10’s Denise Scott.
Past competitors include Pauline Hanson, Chris Hemsworth, Kerri-Anne Kennerley and Johnny Ruffo, who took home the winner’s trophy in 2012.