In a bombshell move, the Queen has banned Prince Harry, Meghan Markle and Prince Andrew from appearing on the Buckingham Palace balcony during Her Majesty’s Platinum Jubilee celebration.
The controversial royal members were expected to be in attendance for the traditional Trooping of the Colour ceremony but Buckingham Palace revealed the official guest list for the balcony appearance will be limited to working members of the Royal family only.
“After careful consideration, the Queen has decided this year’s traditional Trooping the Colour balcony appearance on Thursday 2nd June will be limited to Her Majesty and those members of the Royal Family who are currently undertaking official public duties on behalf of the Queen,” a Palace spokesperson said.
“In addition the Cambridge and Wessex children are also expected to appear as is Sir Tim Laurence, who the Queen is happy to attend as a frequent attendee and support for the Princess Royal on official engagements.”
Despite the public snub a spokesperson for Harry and Meghan said the couple will still be in attendance for the other events as part of the celebrations.
“Prince Harry and Meghan, The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are excited and honoured to attend The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee celebrations this June with their children,” the spokesperson said in a statement.
The Palace’s announcement comes after reports emerged that the Queen had extended an invitation to Harry and Meghan to attend the Platinum Jubilee celebrations following a secret meeting between Harry and the Queen. The meeting was believed to have helped mend tensions between Harry and the Royal family.
Prince Harry recently opened up about the surprise meeting with the Queen, one of his first face-to-face meetings since he and his wife Meghan resigned from royal duties in 2021.
Prince Harry hails ‘extraordinary’ Ukraine Invictus team https://t.co/f2xefKn0if
— BBC News (UK) (@BBCNews) April 18, 2022
While speaking with the BBC on Monday, April, 18 about the Invictus Games, Harry mentioned that “it was great to see her (the Queen)” during his recent visit.
“She had plenty of messages for Team UK, which I have already passed on to most of them,” he said.
“I’m sure she would love to be here if she could.”
The disgraced Prince Andrew will also miss out on the balcony ceremony after recently reaching a settlement with Virginia Giuffre regarding alleged sexual assault allegations. Andrew was removed from royal duties and stripped of his royal titles over the allegations.
Buckingham Palace recently announced that the Queen will also miss some Platinum Jubilee celebrations with the Monarch to forgo the upcoming Garden Party celebrations.
In a statement released on Thursday evening, May 5, the Palace revealed the Queen would be represented by other members of the Royal family, as they welcome guests back to the special event which had been postponed for several years due to the global pandemic.
“Her Majesty The Queen will be represented by other Members of the Royal Family at this year’s Garden Parties, with details on attendance to be confirmed in due course,” a statement from Buckingham Palace announced on Thursday evening,” the statement read.
“The Royal Household is looking forward to welcoming guests back to Buckingham Palace for the first Garden Parties since 2019, in recognition of their positive contributions to communities across the United Kingdom.”