Police commence fresh round of interviews in William Tyrrell investigation

Jan 06, 2022
Detectives have begun fresh rounds of interviews as part of the William Tyrrell investigation. Source: Instagram/@caffeinecrimeandcanines

Police investigating the 2014 disappearance of William Tyrrell have commenced a renewed round of interviews as part of the ongoing investigation, The Daily Telegraph reports.

The latest interviews come after renewed search efforts by authorities in 2021 failed to locate the remains of the missing toddler.

“Strike Force Rosann detectives are continuing to conduct interviews and other investigative activity, including those under Coronial Orders, as well as reviewing all mat­erial with the assistance of various experts,” a NSW Police spokesperson told The Daily Telegraph.

Several items of potential evidence were collected during the search including several pieces of fabric and a bone fragment which is undergoing forensic testing. Police also sifted through over 15 tonnes of soil from the search site for any potential clues.

Strike Force Rosann detectives revealed they had also seized a Mazda from a home at Gymea under a Coronial Order on Tuesday, November 9, 2021. Detectives said the car “was taken to a secure facility” and is “undergoing extensive forensic examinations and analysis” in a statement.

The renewed search efforts drew to a close in December 2021 after authorities spent a month searching the Kendall area less than a kilometre from where the toddler disappeared in 2014. On Tuesday, December 14, 2021, NSW Police announced in a statement that the search operations would draw to a close.

“The NSW Police Force advise current inquiries and search operations being undertaken in the Kendall area are expected to be completed in coming days,” the statement read.

“The forensic search, which is being conducted under a Coronial Order as part of ongoing investigations into the disappearance of William Tyrrell, has been ongoing since Monday 15 November 2021.

“Once the search operation is complete, a team will facilitate a repatriation of the site.”

Before wrapping up the search efforts Police left a touching memorial in the form of a signed rake at the Kendall site. The rake featured messages on the handle from search members including, “we will never give up” and “We will not stop till we find you”.

It’s been over seven years since William disappeared from his foster grandmother’s house in New South Wales. He had been playing in the front yard of the property in Kendall, and was wearing a Spider-Man suit at the time of his disappearance. Despite extensive investigations and an exhaustive search by hundreds of volunteers and emergency service workers, the then three-year-old has not been found.

Leave your comment

Please sign in to post a comment.
Retrieving conversation…
Stories that matter
Emails delivered daily
Sign up