‘I tested positive’: Hugh Jackman cancels shows after Covid-19 outbreak

Dec 29, 2021
Just wanted you to hear it from me': The 53-year-old talented Australian actor took to social media to share the news. Source: Getty

Aussie Hollywood actor, Hugh Jackman, has revealed he has tested positive for Covid-19 and will be unable to perform in the broadway musical “The Music Man” until further notice.

The 53-year-old “The Greatest Showman” actor took to Instagram on Tuesday, December 28,  to make the announcement.

In the brief video, Jackman wears a black face mask as he addressed his 30.2m million followers.

“Hey good morning, so I just wanted you to hear it from me that I tested positive this morning for COVID. My symptoms are like a cold, I have a scratchy throat and a bit of a runny nose but I’m fine. And I’m just gonna do everything I can to get better ASAP,” he said.

 

View this post on Instagram

 

A post shared by Hugh Jackman (@thehughjackman)

Jackman reassured his followers that as soon as he is cleared and given the green light, he plans to get on stage, performing at the River City. Ending the video announcement, Jackman says to “stay safe, be healthy, be kind.”

The news of Jackman testing positive comes three weeks after the actor received his booster shot.

 

View this post on Instagram

 

A post shared by Hugh Jackman (@thehughjackman)

This is also the second time a cast member from The Music Man has tested positive for Covid-19. Ahead of their Christmas Eve performance, Jackman’s co-star, actress Sutton Foster, had tested positive and was unable to perform that night.

According to The DailyMail, Foster shares the same sentiments with her co-star, calling Jackman ‘a class act,’  and is encouraging her followers to ‘ get tested, get vaccinated and get boosted.’

However, performances for the broadway show have now been cancelled until January 1. Representatives from the production made the announcement on Twitter, writing that “performances will resume on Sunday, January 2.”

The musical had already previously cancelled their December 25 and 26th matinee as the Omicron variant continues to spread in the United States.

Broadway has been hit practically hard by the surge in Covid-19 cases, with other well-known plays like “Harry Potter and the Cursed Child” and “Hamilton” all cancelling upcoming shows because of the outbreak.

But despite the cancellations, Broadway League President Charlotte St. Martin tells the Hollywood Reporter that curtains are now down for broadway.

“We have absolutely no plans to shut down…We are paying serious attention to the protocols,” she said.

St. Martin explains the other shows continue to perform because of the protocols they have “set up, and it shows they’re working.”

According to St. Martin, cast and crews on the shows are getting tested, with audience safety being their top priority.

 

Leave your comment

Please sign in to post a comment.
Retrieving conversation…
Stories that matter
Emails delivered daily
Sign up