Get ready to delight your senses with this incredible vegetarian tomato and eggplant strudel recipe! As soon as you take a bite, you’ll be transported to the sunny Mediterranean with the mouth-watering aroma of ripe tomatoes and roasted eggplant.
The flaky, golden pastry is the perfect vessel for the delicious filling of tender veggies and creamy feta cheese, making for a sensory experience that is both comforting and exciting. So gather your ingredients and get ready to treat your taste buds to a symphony of flavours with this fantastic recipe!
- 200g, plus 1 tbsp, plain flour
- 5-6 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large eggplant (aubergine), sliced ¼ inch thick
- 6 tomatoes, sliced ½ inch thick
- 1 clove garlic, sliced
- 80g fresh rye breadcrumbs
- 80g raw almonds, coarsely chopped
- 3 sprigs thyme, leaves only
- Pinch of chilli flakes
- Preheat the oven to 220C. Line a roasting pan with baking paper.
- In a food processor, combine flour and a pinch of salt. With the motor running, drizzle in 3½ tablespoons of olive oil and 100ml warm water and process until the dough comes together. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Arrange eggplant and tomato slices in the prepared pan and lightly salt them. Sprinkle with garlic and drizzle with remaining 2-3 tablespoons oil. Roast for about 20 minutes, until eggplant is tender. Remove from oven and let cool, but keep oven on.
- In a small bowl, combine breadcrumbs, almonds, thyme, and chilli flakes.
- On a sheet of baking paper, roll out the dough into a very thin rectangle. Arrange roasted vegetables over the dough, leaving a 1-inch (2.5cm) border uncovered, then sprinkle evenly with breadcrumb mixture. Fold the long edges towards the centre. Starting from one short end, roll up the dough to enclose the filling, using the parchment to help. Transfer the filled dough, still on the baking paper, to a sheet pan.
- Bake strudel for 30 minutes, until lightly browned. Serve warm or at room temperature.