This afternoon tea treat is the ultimate crowd pleaser. With biscuits, chocolate and coconut all coming to the forefront in this mouthwatering recipe – there’s nothing more guaranteed to please everyone (including those pesky fussy eaters) than this slice.
You can serve it up to family and friends or pack it up and take to a picnic or outing as it’s incredibly easy to whip up in no time at all. Don’t forget to enjoy a warm cuppa alongside it and you’re good to go!
- 125g butter, chopped
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 250g packet arrowroot biscuits, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon desiccated coconut
- 2 cups pure icing sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 40g butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons boiling water
- Grease and line a 3cm-deep, 16.5cm x 26cm (base) slab pan with baking paper, allowing a 2cm overhang at both long ends. Place butter, sugar, vanilla and cocoa in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 to 4 minutes or until butter melts. Set aside for 5 minutes to cool.
- Add egg to chocolate mixture and whisk to combine. Place saucepan over low heat. Cook, whisking constantly, for 10 minutes or until mixture is thick, glossy and smooth. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Add biscuits and stir to combine. Spoon into prepared pan. Smooth surface. Cover and refrigerate for 2 to 3 hours or until set.
- Make chocolate icing: Sift icing sugar and cocoa together into a bowl. Add butter and boiling water. Stir until smooth. Spread icing over slice. Sprinkle with coconut. Allow icing to set. Slice and serve.