You can’t beat a classic scone alongside your cuppa for an afternoon tea treat and these super simple treats won’t take up much of your time when it comes to the baking process either. With the perfect mix of a light and fluffy base with sweet dates mixed through, these treats will have everyone going back for seconds!
Of course, no scone is quite complete without a generous serving of jam and cream so don’t forget to lather it on when serving it up to both guests and yourself. Enjoy!
- 2 cups (250g) self raising flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup (70g) chopped dates
- 1 small egg, beaten
- 150ml milk
- Preheat oven to 200C. Sift flour, baking powder, salt and sugar together into a large bowl. Use fingertips to rub in butter until mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Gently fold in chopped dates.
- Add egg and milk to a jug. Whisk to combine. Pour into flour mixture. Mix together until it becomes a soft sticky dough. Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface. Knead for 30 seconds or until just smooth.
- Cut dough into 8 squares. Brush tops with some milk. Place on tray. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until tops begin to golden.