Hands up if you’ve ever skipped breakfast. Over the years I have (when there’s no time) but with this recipe there will be no more excuses for missing ‘the most important meal of the day’.
This delicious spinach and cheddar quiche will take you a grand total of five minutes (I’m not even joking)! But it’s not even the time that’s the best part. It’s that you can use just about any meat, vegetable or cheese you have on-hand. Don’t eat meat? Leave it out. Only have frozen vegies? Not a problem! There are so many options but if you’re stumped for ideas, check out my throw-together meal below.
- 1/2 cup frozen spinach (or 1/2 cup packed fresh spinach), chopped
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/3 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 slice bacon, chopped
- If using fresh spinach, place it in mug with 2 tablespoons of water. Cover with a paper towel and microwave on high for one minute. Remove from microwave and drain the water and liquid from spinach thoroughly.
- If using frozen spinach, make sure it’s completely thawed and drained and add it to the mug. (If there is too much liquid, the quiche will be runny. I put the thawed spinach in a mesh sieve and pressed firmly with a wooden spoon to remove as much liquid as possible.)
Crack egg into the mug with spinach and add milk, cheese, bacon, and salt and pepper to taste. Mix until thoroughly combined.
- Cover with a paper towel and microwave on high for 3 minutes (see note on timing below), or until fully cooked.
Note: If your microwave is powerful, you’ll probably need less time. If you are unsure, check at 2 minutes, then again at 2.5 minutes. If the eggs appear watery, you need more time, but if they are solid you are good to go!