It might sound like an interesting combination, but rhubarb and date go together so well you’ll wish you tried this yummy cake earlier!
- 1.5 cups self-raising flour
- 125g margarine
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups chopped rhubarb
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- Rub margarine into flour
- Mix in the fruits and sugar
- Add egg and milk
- Mix to a smooth batter (apart from fruit pieces)
- Bake at 200C in a regular oven for 1-1.5 hours
- Leave in the round cake tin for a few minutes before turning out onto a rack to cool.
- Can be iced/cream cheese topping/left plain.