Deadly warning over toxic pet Christmas treats

Animal experts have issued a warning of potentially deadly doggy Christmas treats that are on the market this holiday season. Source: Pexels/ Tails Animal Rescue Inc.

While Christmas is a fun and exciting time for the whole family, animal experts are urging pet owners to beware of Christmas treats for dogs that could be life-threatening this holiday season.

Australian non-profit pet organisation Happy Tails Animal Rescue Inc. has taken to Facebook to warn people that some doggy Christmas treats that are currently in stores could be harmful to some dogs. In fact, the group said many dogs would be spending time in a veterinary surgery over Christmas if they consume the products.

“The vast majority of these rawhide products and treats come from China,” the post explained. “The chews are made from cattle or horse hides and their journey starts with the hides being soaked in toxic sodium sulphide to remove the hair or fat.”

According to the post, more chemicals are used to split the hide into layers before it is washed with hydrogen peroxide to give off a “pure” appearance and hide the rancid smell. Furthermore, the festive Christmas colours and holiday shapes are also a cause for concern.

“On testing, these chews have shown some traces of arsenic, mercury, chromium and formaldehyde,” the post explained. “If that wasn’t bad enough, they regularly cause intestinal blockages, poisoning from chemical residue and choking.”

Read more: Ten ‘human foods’ you should be feeding your dog

Happy Tails Animal Rescue Inc. explained that the chews get so slippery when wet that it’s almost impossible to get hold of to save a dog if they’re choking. The advice is for people not to give the products to their animals.

“Leave them in the shop where they belong or if some well-meaning person buys them for your dog put them safely away for later, then dispatch in the bin!” they said. “Please be safe with your dogs this festive season!”

Dog owners have been tagging their friends and family in the post and sharing their own experiences with similar products.

One person wrote: “These are cheap and nasty crap. Avoid.”

Another comment read: “28 years ago my OESheepdog [Old English] got a raw hide bone stuck in her throat. It was an emergency rush to the vets who luckily saved her. It was awful and I have never bought one for my dogs since. They are very dangerous.”

A third added: “There’s no way I’d give my dog the hide of an animal because I know how it’s treated to get that end product.”

Read more: 8 foods you should and shouldn’t feed your dog

Do you buy your dog presents at Christmas? What safe products do you like to give to your dog or cat?

Stories that matter
Emails delivered daily
Sign up