Former ‘The Chase’ host Andrew O’Keefe set to contest assault allegations

Dec 15, 2022
O’Keefe's latest appearance in court comes after he was arrested and charged for allegedly breaching the conditions of his bail in November. Source: Getty Images.

Troubled former game show presenter Andrew O’Keefe has fronted court yet again for a brief hearing in which a date was set for the 51 year old to contest assault charges.

Earlier this year O’Keefe was arrested and charged for the alleged assault of a woman in a Sydney apartment.

Police alleged that a man grabbed the woman by the throat, pushed her to the ground and punched her.

O’Keefe was arrested on Thursday, January 27 in relation to the incident and was later charged with two counts of ‘intentionally choking a person without consent’, three counts of ‘common assault’ and one count of ‘assault occasioning actual bodily harm’.

“A verbal argument ensued between the pair, before the man allegedly assaulted the woman — grabbing her by the throat, pushing her to the ground and punching her,” a police statement said.

“The man allegedly assaulted the woman a second time — punching and kicking her — before she left the unit.”

During the Wednesday, December 14 hearing at Sydney’s Downing Centre Local Court, O’Keefe was told to return to court on February 6 and 7, 2023 to address the charges against him.

“In relation to all of those matters, the hearing date is confirmed,” Magistrate Brett Thomas told the court.

O’Keefe’s latest appearance in court comes after he was arrested and charged for allegedly breaching the conditions of his bail in November.

According to a police statement, O’Keefe was arrested at a Vaucluse on the morning of Thursday, November 24.

“About 10.40am today officers from Eastern Suburbs Police Area Command attended a home at Vaucluse and spoke to the occupant, a 51-year-old man,” police said in a statement.

“He was arrested and taken to Waverley Police Station where he was charged with breach of bail.”

O’Keefe appeared in Waverley Local Court on Thursday afternoon where the court heard that he had allegedly failed a drug test.

O’Keefe’s barrister Sebastian De Brennan argued that the drug test could have possibly been contaminated.

Magistrate Jacqueline Milledge granted O’Keefe’s bail under strict conditions.

Outside of court, O’Keefe addressed a throng of reporters where he vented his frustration with the legal system while defending himself against the charges.

“You don’t get to hear the story,” he told reporters.

“The thing about the justice system is that we get no time to prepare as the defendant.”

He was then asked about the alleged failed drug test.

“That’s what we discovered in court today, that there’s a high probability of contamination,” he replied.

If you are concerned about violence or misconduct impacting you or your loved ones, contact the National Sexual Assault, Domestic Family Violence Counselling Service — 1800 737 732, Mensline Australia — 1300 789 978, Relationships Australia — 1300 364 277, BeyondBlue — 1300 224 636; Suicide Call Back Service — 1300 659 467; Headspace — 1800 650 890; Kids Helpline — 1800 551 800; Lifeline Australia — 13 11 14, for confidential support, advice and referral that will help you explore your options.

Share:
Share via emailShare on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Pinterest

Leave your comment

Please sign in to post a comment.
Retrieving conversation…
Stories that matter
Emails delivered daily
Sign up