This wonderfully rich, chocolatey recipe will indulge the sweet tooth without rotting the rest of your teeth. If you have yet to try the delightful surprise of beetroot in baked desserts – and the incredible natural sweetness and moisture they can bring – we strongly recommend you give it a go!
- Butter or oil, to grease
- 300g whole raw beetroot (approx. 5 medium beetroots)
- 250g raw almonds, ground
- 1 tsp gluten free baking powder
- 2 X-large eggs
- 100g Perfect Sweet® xylitol
- ½ tsp salt
- 150ml mild olive oil
- 150g Dark Bitter Chocolate (Recipe on Website) or good quality sugar free dark chocolate, chopped
- 1 whole raw beetroot, peeled
- 300g raw cashews, soaked for 3 hours in enough warm water to cover, rinsed and drained
- 20g sugar-free sweetener
- 60ml water
- 60ml coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Raw whole pistachios, to decorate
- Preheat oven to 160°C/140°C fan-forced. Brush a 25cm × 7.5cm × 7.5cm loaf pan with butter or oil to grease. Line with baking paper.
- Roast the beetroot in the oven at 180°C/160°C until tender, peel and puree to make 250g. Set aside.
- Place ground almonds and baking powder in a large bowl and mix to combine.
- Use an electric beater to beat eggs, xylitol and salt in a clean bowl on high speed until pale and creamy. Gradually add the olive oil and beat on medium speed until combined.
- Fill a small saucepan with water and bring to the boil. Meanwhile, place the chocolate in a bowl large enough to cover the saucepan and set aside.
- Once water is boiling, remove from the heat and place bowl with chocolate on top, stirring gently to melt. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Stir egg mixture into the almond mixture. Mix in the melted chocolate and beetroot puree.
- Pour into prepared cake pan and bake for 25–30 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Leave to cool in pan for 10 minutes. Turn onto a wire rack to cool completely.
Lower oven temperature to 120°C/100°C fan-forced. Very carefully, thinly slice the beetroot using a mandoline. Place beetroot slices on a silicon mat or baking paper in a single layer and bake for 30 minutes, or until crisp.
Blend all the ingredients until smooth and spread over the cooled Chocolate and Beetroot Cake. Garnish with beetroot chips and pistachios.