There’s nothing like a classic pudding to warm you up on a cool night and this classic version is sure to do the trick. It has the perfect mix of sweet and tangy, with a crispy exterior and a delicious lemon sauce inside. The secret to keeping it light and fluffy is to fold the egg mixture in carefully so as not to ruin all the little pockets of air you’ve created when beating the eggs.
Once it’s ready to dish up, serve it with a dusting of icing sugar and a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Enjoy!
- Melted butter, to grease
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon rind
- 160ml (2/3 cup) fresh lemon juice
- 330ml (1 1/3 cups) reduced-fat milk
- 1/2 cup self-raising flour
- 215g (1 cup) caster sugar
- Pure icing sugar, to dust
- Preheat oven to 180C. Grease six 250mL ovenproof dishes with melted butter. In a bowl add egg yolks, lemon rind, lemon juice, milk, flour and 2/3 cup caster sugar. Whisk until smooth.
- With an electric beater, beat egg whites in a bowl until soft peaks form. Beat in remaining caster sugar. Continue mixing until mixture is thick and glossy.
- Fold a quarter of the egg mixture into the lemon mixture. Fold in the rest of the egg mixture. Pour evenly into prepared dished. Place in roasting pan. Fill roasting pan with boiling water halfway up the sides of the dishes. Bake for 25 minutes or until the tops of the pudding are golden. Dust icing sugar over the top. Serve.
- Remove dish from baking pan carefully. Leave to stand for 5 minutes. Dust pudding top with icing sugar and serve.