This is a recipe perfect for lazy mornings or a light meal in the evening. We’ve made these beans on a few occasions, sometimes we’ll make them with the rosti, while other times we use toasted sourdough bread and even grilled tortillas. It’s a true comfort dish.
- 4 tsp olive oil
- 1 medium brown onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely diced
- 410g tin diced tomatoes
- 400g tin cannellini beans
- 1/4 cup flat leaf parsley, shredded
- 250g sweet potato, grated
- 1 medium potato, grated
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbsp self-raising flour
- 1 small red onion, diced
- Heat half the oil in a medium saucepan, add onion and garlic; cook, stirring, until onion softens. Stir in undrained tomatoes, water and beans; bring to the boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, about 10 minutes or until thick. Remove from heat; stir in shredded parsley.
- Preheat oven to 200C.
- Combine sweet potato, potato and salt in medium bowl; stand 5 minutes then squeeze out liquid.
- Whisk egg in medium bowl; whisk in flour. Stir in red onion and sweet potato mixture.
- Heat remaining oil in large ovenproof frying pan over medium heat; add sweet potato mixture, press down firmly. Cook rosti about 3 minutes or until browned lightly underneath. Transfer pan to oven; bake, uncovered, about 20 minutes or until browned. Turn rosti onto chopping board, cut into eight wedges; serve with breakfast beans.