We were inspired by the tastes of India for this recipe. We wanted a meal that was big on flavour but didn’t sit heavy in our tummies. We were looking for something that was like a big, warm hug and we think we found it with this creamy curried cauliflower and lentil soup.
We’re a big fan of one-pot meals and this soup blends red lentils, ginger, curry powder, carrots and cauliflower, which also makes it a meal full of plant protein and flavour! You’ll be amazed at how easy this dish is to throw together.
- 2 tsp avocado oil (for an oil-free soup, substitute with water)
- 1 medium brown onion
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced (optional)
- 1 1/2 tsp fresh ginger, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2-3 tsp curry powder
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup red lentils
- 1/2 tsp salt, plus more to taste
- 2 tbsp coconut cream
- Heat a large pot over medium heat. Once hot, add oil, onion, carrots, and celery (optional) and sauté for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Then add ginger and garlic and sauté for 2-3 minutes more or until fragrant.
- Add cauliflower, curry powder, cayenne (optional), broth, lentils, and salt. Bring to a low boil over medium heat and then reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes or until lentils and cauliflower are tender.
- Add coconut cream and blend until creamy and no bits remain.
- Taste and adjust seasonings, adding more curry powder for spice, cayenne for heat, or salt for overall flavour. Continue cooking for a few more minutes over medium heat.
- Serve with an additional swirl of coconut cream and some crusty bread.