Dinner for one? Not a problem with this deliciously succulent chicken and rice stew recipe.
This is a perfect food comforter. I especially enjoy it with a slice of crusty bread lathered in butter.
- 1 (115g) boneless, skinless chicken thigh, or chicken breast cut into 2.5cm pieces
- 3/4 tsp salt, divided
- 1/8 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup onions, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1/3 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 2 tbsp sour cream
- 3 tbsp heavy cream
- 1/4 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1/4 tsp Italian seasoning
- Preheat oven to 190C.
- Heat 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil in a medium-sized skillet or sauté pan on medium high heat.
- Season chicken pieces with 1/8 teaspoon of salt and 1/8 teaspoon of pepper. Place chicken pieces in the pan and brown on both sides, about 1 to 2 minutes. Remove chicken pieces from the pan and transfer them to a bowl or a plate.
- Add 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil to the pan and lower the heat to medium. Add onions and cook until translucent, stirring frequently for about 2 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds more.
- Increase heat to medium high and add sliced mushrooms. Cook mushrooms, stirring occasionally for 2 minutes.
- Pour chicken broth into the pan and stir. Remove pan from the heat and stir in sour cream, heavy cream, remaining salt, and Italian seasoning. Set pan aside.
- Pour rice into a 13cm x 13cm baking dish.
- Pour cream mixture over rice and stir gently. Place chicken pieces in a single layer on top.
- Cover tightly with aluminium foil and bake for 40 minutes. Remove the foil.