Sir Elton John has lashed out at British press after Prince Harry and his wife Meghan copped heavy criticism for taking two private jet trips in one week and compared the backlash to the “press intrusion” which led to Princess Diana’s “untimely death”. The royal couple faced criticism from severals popular tabloids for using private jets for trips with their new son Archie last week.
Posting on Twitter on Monday, the singer revealed he, not taxpayers paid for their trip to Nice in the south of France. “I am deeply distressed by today’s distorted and malicious account in the press surrounding the Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s private stay at my home in Nice last week,” he wrote.
“Prince Harry’s Mother, Diana Princess Of Wales was one of my dearest friends. I feel a profound sense of obligation to protect Harry and his family from the unnecessary press intrusion that contributed to Diana’s untimely death.
“After a hectic year continuing their hard work and dedication to charity, David and I wanted the young family to have a private holiday inside the safety and tranquillity of our home.”
I am deeply distressed by today’s distorted and malicious account in the press surrounding the Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s private stay at my home in Nice last week. pic.twitter.com/WjVRDSMX0z
— Elton John (@eltonofficial) August 19, 2019
Elton said he provided the private jet due to the “high level of much-needed protection” and paid for the flight to be carbon offset “to support Prince Harry’s commitment to the environment”.
“To support Prince Harry’s commitment to the environment, we ensured their flight was carbon neutral,” he added. “I highly respect and applaud both Harry and Meghan’s commitment to charity and I’m calling on the press to cease these relentless and untrue assassinations on their character that are spuriously crafted on an almost daily basis.”
Earlier this month Meghan guest edited the September issue of British Vogue, which featured an interview between Prince Harry and conservationist Jane Goodall. In the candid chat, the new dad said he and Meghan will have no more than two children in a bid to help save the planet.
“I view it differently now, without question,” he said. “But I’ve always wanted to try and ensure that, even before having a child and hoping to have children.”
When Goodall added: “Not too many,” Harry responded: “Two, maximum.”
“But I’ve always thought: this place is borrowed,” he went on. “And, surely, being as intelligent as we all are, or as evolved as we all are supposed to be, we should be able to leave something better behind for the next generation.”
Harry has enjoyed a surge in popularity in recent years having put his partying days behind him to focus his efforts on environmental affairs and mental health advocacy. However, in recent months Meghan and Harry have been at the wrong end of public criticism. The couple faced backlash earlier this year for keeping details of son Archie’s birth and christening private.
The decision to remain private about the baby’s christening is a stark difference to the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge who invited the media to the christening of all three of their children Prince George, Princess Charlotte and Prince Louis. The doting parents were also photographed outside of the hospital where the children were born shortly after their arrival — a royal tradition Prince Harry and Meghan also broke.
She became a member of Starts at 60 and got access to amazing travel deals, free masterclasses, exclusive news and features and hot member discounts!
And she entered to win a $10K trip for four people to Norfolk Island in 2021. Join now, it’s free to become a member. Members get more.