This comforting dinner dish is perfect for those who are trying to cut back on their meat intake and increase the amount of vegetables they eat instead. Not only does this lasagne use a strictly vegetarian ingredients list, it’s also packed with iron thanks to the spinach, so there’s no better place to start!
And the best part is, with the help of the trusty slow cooker you won’t need to hang around all night to perfect it. Simply throw everything in the bowl of the slow cooker, press start and you’re good to go!
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 500g canned pumpkin soup
- 2 x 400g cans lentils, drained, rinsed
- 6 large fresh sage leaves, chopped, plus extra, to top
- 120g pkt baby spinach
- 500g ricotta, well drained
- 125ml (1/2 cup) pouring cream
- 2 eggs, lightly whisked
- Finely grated rind of 1 lemon
- 6-8 dried lasagne sheets
- 80g (1 cup) pre-grated 3-cheese blend
- Fresh continental parsley leaves, to serve
- Heat the oil in a large deep-sided frying pan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes or until soft. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until aromatic.
- Add the pumpkin soup, lentils and sage to the frying pan and stir to combine. Simmer for 3 minutes or until reduced slightly. Stir through the spinach. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes or until the spinach has just wilted.
- Meanwhile, use a fork to mash the ricotta in a bowl. Stir in the cream, egg and lemon rind. Season well.
- Spray inside of a slow cooker with oil. Spread 1/3 cup of the lentil mixture over the base. Cover with a layer of lasagne sheets, breaking the sheets to fit. Spread one-third of the remaining lentil mixture on top of the lasagne sheets. Dollop one-third of the ricotta mixture over the lentil mixture. Continue layering with remaining lasagne sheets, lentil mixture and ricotta mixture, finishing with the ricotta mixture. Sprinkle with the cheese. Top with extra sage leaves and spray with oil.
- Cook on High for 2 hours or until the lasagne sheets are tender and the liquid has absorbed. Carefully remove the insert from the slow cooker. Set aside, covered, for 10 minutes to rest. Sprinkle with parsley to serve.