Would it even be Christmas without rum balls? Not in my house!
I can’t go giving away family secrets, so I came up with this little twist on the festive season favourite. It’s another of those great edible gifts you can offer up to neighbours, co-workers, family members who seem to have everything, and members of your social club.
- 200g dark cooking chocolate
- 1/4 cup cream
- 30g butter
- 50g basic chocolate cake crumbed
- 2 tsp rum
- 1/2 cup chocolate sprinkles or crushed candy cane pieces
- Place the chocolate in a bowl.
- Combine the cream and butter in a small pan and stir over low heat until the butter melts and the mixture is just boiling.
- Pour the hot cream mixture over the chocolate and stir until the chocolate melts and the mixture is smooth.
- Stir in the cake crumbs and rum.
- Refrigerate for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until just firm enough to handle.
- Roll heaped teaspoons of the mixture into balls.
- Spread the chocolate sprinkles on a sheet of greaseproof paper. Carefully roll each rum ball in the sprinkles, then place on tray.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes or until firm.