Scrumptious sweet potato shepherd’s pie
A new take on an old classic. Source: Getty
When it comes to a tasty dinner, nothing beats a delicious shepherd’s pie.
You likely have a recipe that’s been passed down for generations, but have you ever thought about putting a twist on the classic dish?
To add some extra oomph to your shepherd’s pie, we’ve found that substituting regular mashed potato for sweet potato works a delight. The best part is this is a dish the whole family is going to love.
- 1 onion
- 2 carrots
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp dried thyme
- 500g lamb mince
- 1 lamb stock cube
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 100g frozen peas
- 500g potato
- 400g sweet potato
- 3ml milk
- 2 tbsp butter
Ad. Article continues below.
- Peel and chop carrots and onions. Place in a large pan with vegetable oil and dried thyme. Cook on medium-high until vegetables are soft.
- Add lamb to pan and cook until brown. Continually stir until cooked through.
- Use stock cube and Worcestershire sauce to make 500ml of stock. Add to pan.
- Bring pan to a simmer and cover for 20 mins.
- Add peas and cook for an additional 20 mins, ensuring liquid has soaked into meat.
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Peel and chop potato and sweet potato, then boil until soft.
- After draining the water, mash potato and sweet potato with milk and butter.
- Using an overproof container, add meat from the pan first, then top with mashed potato, ensuring it’s spread as evenly as possible.
- Add container to the oven and cook for 25 mins.
Loading Next Article
Love starts at sixty? Get our most popular stories delivered today. Join Us
Never Miss a story join us today