This is a family recipe, passed down and never forgotten. If you want to bake a moist carrot cake that just melts in your mouth, then this is the recipe for you!
Bake it for any family occasions or even for a treat with your tea or coffee of an afternoon.
- 1 1/2 cups finely grated carrot
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup oil
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 cup wholemeal plain flour
- 1 tsp bi-carb soda
- 1/2 tsp mixed spice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Lemon icing
- Combine eggs, sugar, oil, vanilla and sifted dry ingredients in large bowl
- Beat at low speed until smooth
- Stir in carrots and nuts, mixxing well
- Place into a well greased ring tin
- Bake in moderate (180 degrees) oven for 45-50 minutes
- Allow to stand for five minutes before turning out
- Ice with lemon icing
If you’d like to see more recipes from Starts at 60, click here. And if you have a recipe you’d like to share with the Starts at 60 community – we’d love to share it! Submit them to us by completing the form below.