This delicious zucotto makes for a great finish to any Christmas lunch. Don’t be put off with the number of steps it takes to make this dish. The recipe is a cinch and can be made by even the most novice of bakers.
Bitter orange and cherry zucotto
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 20 mins
- 750g best quality fresh ricotta
- 130g Bitter Oranges in Spiced Verjuice Syrup chopped
- 70g dried cherries or cranberries
- 3 tbsp Verjuice to steep the cherries in
- 4 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 tspn minced glace ginger
- 200g sponge finger
- 1/3 cup glaze from bitter oranges
- Take a 1.5 litre bowl or dish and line it with cling film.
- Place the cherries into a glass bowl and pour over the Verjuice. Place this into the microwave on a defrost setting for 3 minutes.
- Remove from the microwave and allow to stand for 5 minutes or until soft. Drain cherries and reserve the liquid.
- In a large mixing bowl combine ricotta, chopped oranges, cherries, sugar and glace ginger. Mix well.
- In a smaller bowl combine reserved cherry liquid and Orange Glaze.
- Brush the sponge finger biscuits with the combined glaze liquid.
- Place some of the biscuits on the base of the lined bowl and then place a layer around the sides.
- Fill with the ricotta mixture and then top with more biscuits.
- Cover with cling film and a baking tray to sit over the top. Cover the baking tray with a weight and press in the refrigerator overnight.
- Once chilled invert the bowl onto a serving plate and slice
You can find a variety of fantastic recipe ideas at maggiebeer.com.au
This recipe and many others can be found in the cookbook, Maggie’s Christmas, which you can buy here.